Mobilizing for a generational change

Two Poly workers electrocuted in Ekiti

Rasaq Ibrahim, Ado Ekiti

Tears flow freely on Tuesday when two workers of the Federal Polytechnic, Ado Ekiti, were electrocuted while working on defective borehole on campus.

Eyewitnesses told journalists in Ado Ekiti the victims were staff of the Department of Works and were said to have died while carrying out statutory function.

One of the deceased, whose identities have not been made known, was a native of Ado Ekiti while the other victim hailed from Kogi State.

The source narrated the victims while working on the borehole had made attempts to remove the galvanised pipe for repair when they made the mistake and died on the spot.

It was gathered “as they were removing the pipe, they didn’t know that it has gone up to the extent that it could touch a high tension wire around the area.

“Immediately the pipe touched the high tension wire, there was a huge spark that caused electrocution of the two men.

“Their bodies were charred by the effect of the electrocution while other supportive workers were flung to far distance but they neither died nor sustained serious bodily injuries,”, an eyewitness narrated.

When contacted , the institution’s Public Relations Officer , Mr Adeyemi Adejolu, confirmed the incident, saying the staff died while performing their duties.

“It was true that they got electrocuted while performing their duties. It was a sad and regrettable incident that the Polytechnic will regret for long,” he stressed.

Adejolu added that the victim from Kogi had been taken to his town for immediate burial while the family of the other deceased has been contacted.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.